Saturday 25 August 2007

What Emil didn't tell you about London...

I think Emil's fatigue in London caused some mild amnesia about the trip. I loved London, don't get me wrong, but my memory of the trip is a little different! We actually almost didn't make it to London, or I didn't anyway. Because the cab was late picking us up from our house, we almost missed the train to London. In fact, we entered one train that was totally crowded. We were told to jump on the train connected in front, but we had to exit the first train to do so. I was holding Mallory, a suitcase and a shoulder bag. Emil had the folded stroller, a very heavy backpack, and a large suitcase. I vaguely remember Emil yelling, "I can't get out with a stroller, two children and luggage!" (The English don't know the word luggage, actually.) A train employee said to just leave it and get it later. We virtually ran to the front train while it was starting to move. It was actually empty. We sat down, amazed that we had such luck to be on an empty train. It didn't take long for the panic to set in: this was the wrong train!...But then I realized we were connected to the first train on the same track, so yes, we were on the right train. But some of our luggage was still in the first train. The ticketmaster told us to jump out and grab it on the next stop. So I did. But so many people were getting on. When I got on it was clear I couldn't grab my bag; too many people. When I got back off, the train started moving again. I shouted, "This is my train! Wait!" Someone in uniform curtly called out, "You better get on or we're going to leave you!" So I returned sans luggage. I could just imagine being left at this desolate train station while my family pulled away- luggage, purse and all. No cell phone, no money, difficulty communicating with the natives. I still shiver at the thought. Eventually, our luggage was retrieved for us at one of the stops. Shew!! Crisis averted...for now. Everything all went mostly as planned once we arrived in London, except Emil couldn't find his passport when checking-in at the hotel (which we really don't need for ID because we're residents of the country) and we left all the directions, reservation numbers, and hotel information at home. No big deal!!! And did he mention the $100 breakfast? That was with a discount for Quentin. Gee, thanks!



But I can't wait to go back. (I'd live there if it wasn't so expensive, and well, if Emil had a London-based job with lots of incentives, financial cost of living support, and a lake house in the north.) It's an amazing hodgepodge of people and cultures. This history is well-preserved and appropriately revered, and the modern architecture is stunning. (Mallory noticed the "big egg" near out hotel- the Swedish bank that is so noticeable in any London skyline shot). Can't wait to go back and see the other 99% of the city!

No comments: